OFFICIAL RETURN OF THE PEE-WEE TOURNAMENT IN FEBRUARY
Quebec, September 14, 2021 - After a year of absence, the Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament is very pleased to announce today that the event will officially return from February 9 to 20, 2022 in an international format.
A long awaited return
No matter what format the Tournament took, there was no way the Pee-Wee Tournament organization would let the kids and fans down again this year. After numerous meetings and discussions with Public Health, various government bodies, Hockey Quebec and others, the organization can finally confirm that teams from all over the world will be arriving at the Videotron Center in February.
’’We have worked hard, very hard to make it happen quickly and to finally tell you that the Tournament will officially take place in February. There were several key issues to be resolved, several heartbreaking decisions had to be made and it has not been easy. The important thing is that we can finally go ahead and get everything going for the next edition. If you only knew how happy we are! ’’ said Michel Plante, President of the Tournament.
The organization of the Tournament received confirmation last Friday evening of financial support from the Secrétariat à la Capitale-Nationale, the Ministry of Tourism, Destination Quebec City via Quebec City and the Quebec Ministry of Education. The amounts received will be used to absorb the major financial losses caused mainly by the limit of 7,500 spectators in the Videotron Center, the losses of private sponsorships and by the costs related to the respect of sanitary standards. The Pee-Wee Tournament will also absorb some of the financial loss.
''We needed to quickly get answers concerning the financial support from the various government bodies. Thanks to the Economic Alliance that Minister Geneviève Guilbaut set up last year, we were able to meet all the financial partners last Thursday during an express meeting organized by the Secrétariat à la Capitale-Nationale and the response was extremely fast. We are impressed with the results and wholeheartedly thank the contributors who support us. Without them the 2022 Tournament would not have taken place!'' says Patrick Dom.
Specific regulations for 2022
A tournament of this magnitude in a pandemic situation will of course require many adjustments and conditions to be respected, for the players as well as for the spectators and volunteers.
''The most important thing for us is to keep everyone safe and that will be our priority. We prefer to be more than careful. The teams will come from all over the world, all the more reason not to take any risk!'' says Patrick Dom.
Here is a part of those adjustments:
-Only peewee players born in 2009 will be accepted for the categories AAA, AA-Elite, AA, BB and A. For the scholar category, only players born in October, November, December 2008 and in 2009 will be eligible.
-All team members must be doubly vaccinated, including coaching staff and managers, regardless of where the team comes from. The vaccination passport must be provided.
-All volunteers, host families and partners must be doubly vaccinated
-Anyone aged 12 and over entering the Videotron Center must present their vaccination passport
-Sanitary rules required by Public Health must be applied. We will monitor developments closely and announce changes if necessary.
The 2022 regulations will be subject to any change without notice in accordance with the directives of Public Health, the Government of Quebec or the Government of Canada.
It is certain that the 2022 tournament will not be 100% as you have known it, but it is a step in the right direction! We are happy to hold it, hoping for a 'real' tournament return in 2023.
For more information or interview: